Construction is an industry that comprises a wide range of activities involving construction, alteration, and/or repair. Examples include residential construction, bridge erection, roadway paving, excavations, demolitions, and large scale painting jobs.
Construction Management: $30 – $40/hour (average entry level wage)
“There is a big shortage in welders and a lot of people in the skilled trades. That’s the biggest thing we face, just finding the right people, qualified people to do the work.”
- DAILY TASKS
– Coordinating with contractors and work from the ground up with buildings.
– Getting estimates and quotes for how much and how long a building will take to build.
– Evaluating bids and overseeing the project from start to finish.
- CAREER PATH
– Started out at the Michigan Department of Transportation doing concrete quality control.
– Went to Northern Michigan University for a degree in construction management.
– Worked as a general contractor before moving back to Northern Michigan.
Applicable programs in the area: