“To enhance the economy in our three-county service area by acting as a resource to help communities and entrepreneurs retain and create quality jobs in Antrim, Charlevoix, & Cheboygan Counties”
The Northern Lakes Economic Alliance, established in 1984, is a public/private non-profit organization serving Antrim, Charlevoix, and Cheboygan Counties in Northern Michigan.
The NLEA works directly with local units of government on infrastructure projects, which facilitates local company growth and expansion and assists many local companies on a wide range of issues that helps retain existing jobs and create new jobs.
We pro-actively approach economic development as a “team sport” and work hard to strengthen partner relationships, network public and private sectors, and work collaboratively to address economic development challenges and opportunities in our area.
- We assist businesses and entrepreneurs and have a variety of tools and resources targeting new and existing businesses that possess the desire and potential to create family-supporting jobs (base jobs) with benefits.
- We assist communities in finding the most effective approach to meet their needs to support business, industry retention, and growth.
Some examples of this include:
- Implementing a joint manufacturing/major employer retention call program with the MEDC and Michigan Works!
- Worked with six local and state agencies to establish the Northwest Michigan Regional Ag Business Team.
- Collaborating with the Northwest Michigan Council of Governments on projects ranging from area transportation planning to sustainable business forums.