Business Development Director, Northern Lakes Economic Alliance
Full Job Description
Founded in 1984, The Northern Lakes Economic Alliance (NLEA) is Northern Michigan’s regional economic development organization serving Antrim, Charlevoix, and Cheboygan Counties. The NLEA serves both current and prospective Northern Michigan companies, connecting them to the resources they need to succeed. During this long history, the organization has assisted existing and new companies to create hundreds of new jobs and millions in new investments.
We are seeking a dynamic and innovative leader in the field of economic and community development to serve as the Business Development Director. You will provide leadership in the development and implementation of economic development initiatives focused on People, Place, and Prosperity and in alignment with both local needs and regional strategies.
You will report to the President.
You are excited about this role because:
- You will have the opportunity to be a significant, positive catalyst in our region. You will be a critical stakeholder in the community, leveraging local relationships while being supported by a team of individuals at the NLEA. Bringing decades of experience, specialized skillsets, connections, and industry knowledge, professionals in the Community Development, Business Intelligence, Marketing & Communications, Legislative Issues, and more are part of this support team.
- With your strong sense of commitment and teamwork, deep understanding of diversity, equity, and inclusion, and a diverse world outlook, you will help shape and promote a collaborative, partnership-based culture of economic development for the Northern Michigan region, leading to new economic development projects.
- Utilizing a problem-solver approach, you will proactively meet with Regional companies to support growth and expansion, address business concerns, and connect with appropriate resources.
- You will cultivate partnerships with the community, economic development allies, and nonprofit and municipal leaders to strengthen the competitiveness of the Region within the state, national, and global economy. You will lead and support initiatives to build capacity at the local municipal level including the pursuit of grants and technical assistance.
- You will get the chance to represent the NLEA at the local, regional, state, and national levels. You will speak directly with donors, government representatives, and members of the community. You will actively contribute to professional and local associations. You will prepare and make presentations on the NLEA, and other regional economic issues to a wide variety of groups and organizations.
We are excited about you because:
- You hold a bachelor’s degree and/or equivalent relevant experience in business development, economic development, public administration, public affairs, urban planning, communications, or marketing. Certified Economic Developer considered a plus.
- You are an effective communicator, and you have a track record of establishing productive working relationships and trust across many stakeholders and groups.
- You possess a thorough knowledge of state, federal, and private funding opportunities for business development.
- You are self-directed. You create plans, organize initiatives, and execute them independently and in collaboration with others to agreed deadlines.
- You have proven experience managing and prioritizing real-time demands of ongoing projects, campaigns, relationships, and organizational goals.
- You are proficient in Salesforce, or you demonstrate the ability to quickly learn the customer relationship management software.
- You have reliable transportation for travel throughout the region (mileage reimbursement policy in place).
- You are willing to participate in meetings and events outside of traditional business hours.
Interested? Apply now! Please email cover letter and resume to NLEA President David Emmel at email@example.com.
We offer the opportunity to make a positive impact on the economic health of Northern Michigan and to collaborate with the best and brightest business minds. Learn more about us at https://www.NorthernLakes.net. If you have additional questions, please contact NLEA President David Emmel at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Northern Lakes Economic Alliance provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local laws.